Sunday, July 21, 2019

Incremental Change: Inch by Inch

Often I've been coached to think about incremental change rather than big-idea change. As a big-picture thinker, it's been difficult for me to be satisfied with incremental change, yet as I watch politicians and organizational leaders stifled by ideas for change that are too-big and too-controversial, I find myself desiring an inch-by-inch effort towards change or, as it is well known, incremental change.

First, as I think politically, I'm wondering about win-win solutions to current problems that are inch-by-inch or incremental such as the following:
  • Medicare for all children 0-6 for starters
  • Sustainable, humane communities for people awaiting legal processing at the border
  • Positive peaceful decisions and collaboration with countries that we struggle with 
As I think more specifically about my world of teaching and living, incremental changes that are positive include the following:
  • simplifying my home object by object with the use of freecycles, Facebook marketplace, Craigslist and other sites that help you give away or sell items you no longer need
  • using free cycle sites to obtain non-plastic storage bins, cabinets for school to help create a more green, more welcoming, and resourceful learning environment at school
  • growing my own food at home
  • moving towards a greener lifestyle, teaching/learning community with products I purchase, activities I engage in. . .
  • focusing in on the learning experiences I facilitate, lead at school to make each learning experience richer/deeper, more responsive to the students in front of me, and more meaningful
  • working to build stronger connections with positive effort rather than challenge connections with too much critique
Incremental change, that inch-by-inch, step-by-step change matches Belichick's successful "chunk-it" strategy for his winning team, The Patriots. I think this is a good focus for moving ahead at this point in time with regard to living, teaching, learning, and the positive politics of inclusive, people-first change and development.