Saturday, June 15, 2019

Preparing to end 2018-2019 year and start 2019-2020 school year

This weekend I am putting the finishing touches on the 2018-2019 school year. On Monday I'll have a class meeting and begin by sharing what I appreciate about this year's class. I want them to know that I value who they are, their many gifts of good energy and learning to me, and the wonderful contribution they will bring to each other and our world in the future. I will say that we are all on journeys in life, and while none of us will ever be perfect, we all have the capacity to uplift our own lives and the lives of those around us in special and significant ways.

After that, my teammates and I will welcome next year's students to the fifth grade program. We've written a move-up letter, supply list, and summer study outline. We've also updated the website and planned a TeamFive introduction. We're excited about this opportunity to meet new children and families, and to grow our program in new ways too.

Then we'll return to this year's fifth graders, support their cardboard challenge arcade activity, and join them in a number of celebratory end-of-year events.

Summer study plans are ready. Our school system has shared future goals and objectives with us so we can match our summer study to those efforts. In general, summer study will include a couple of team meetings, individual study/reading/prep, an orientation for new students and students distanced from the school's geographic location, and time to schedule and prep with the greater team.

Summer also affords time to shore up areas of challenge or need. For me that means a physical fitness goal, family focus, and goals related to teamwork--work I'll share with students since that is a central 5th grade theme. This week's bridge has been well planned, and I am ready to embrace it with as much positivity and care as I can. Onward.