The big work is done, and the last two days will find students sharing their cardboard arcade games, collecting signatures for their autograph books, cleaning up their desks/drawers, and joining with the school and the grade-level for special meetings.
It's our principal's last few days too--he's taught and been a principal in our system for many years. He will be missed.
To put closure on the year, we'll have some warm and happy days, and then it will be time for a break before working on next year's goals.
Keepers from this year include the following:
- lots of great field studies
- positive standards-based program
- significant personal attention to students
- great collaboration with the grade-level team
Areas where I want to grow the program include these main priorities:
- continuing to develop positive partnerships based on a good teaching/learning routine and attention to students' needs with students, families, and colleagues who work with our fifth graders.
- deepening and bettering math and science education based on an analysis of formal and informal program metrics
- integrating social-emotional learning goals such as metacognition, teamwork, perseverance, self-advocacy, questioning, and more into the overall program
Good leadership at the helm affords me the time and ability to focus in on the classroom program.
Again, it's been a most positive year-long journey with these wonderful fifth graders. I wish them continued success--they will bring the world good things. Onward.