Thursday, May 09, 2019

Inspiring your teaching/learning efforts

I need to be inspired to educate well. I also need to be well informed and positively challenged to teach well.

I like to start the new school year with positive challenges that have been well identified via new reading, study, analysis, collaboration, and review. That's why I signed up for a week-long science workshop with middle school and high school teachers. I know that by immersing myself in science learning for a week in the field will develop both my enthusiasm and knowledge for science teaching in the year ahead. The more you learn and know, the better you teach.

As for math, I'll grow that knowledge by reading a few books and reorganizing the math website. I'll also watch some good TED talks like this one, other videos, and continue to share via the YouCubed Facebook thread and other math related social media threads. I will also collaborate with colleagues on math-related summer work.

In the meantime though, it's time to put deep learning on hold while I attend to the day-to-day care and nurturing of the wonderful children in my midst. There's lots to do to help these children do their best, enjoy the study, and learn a lot. Onward.