Friday, March 01, 2019

Making Time for What Matters

It's a bit of the same old, same old as I coach myself ahead each day. It's not easy to stay focussed when there's so much that pulls your attention away, that's why daily coaching is essential.

What matters now?

Student Portfolio Completion and Coaching
Meeting with every child to review their portfolios has given me a good opportunity to assess each child's learning so far this year. I noticed whose on top of all learning expectations and who needs a bit more attention to meet those expectations. I had the chance to converse with almost every child about their learning as we looked through the portfolios. Next week we'll engage in those conversations with family members too.

As I look through these portfolios and converse with students, I am reminded that what's most important is giving students the inspiration and support to move ahead with confidence and belief in themselves. Their actual scores and performance at fifth grade is not a clear indication of their future success as I know that students who work hard, but struggle at fifth grade, will achieve future success if educators and family members continue to coach these students forward in helpful ways. I have seen this positive result happen time and time again.

Sharing and Building Knowledge
I will present at a math conference soon and may present at a safe school conference too. Presenting is a good way to both solidify and develop knowledge that positively impacts your practice. During the upcoming ATMIM conference I'll lead a conversation about the role of practice with regard to successful math learning, and for the safe schools conference, I've proposed to lead a workshop focused on integrating SEL into the academic program via a focus on the team in STEAM. I have studied both these topics and am eager to share what I've learned as well as learn more via collegial conversation.

Fraction Study
There's a lot to do to study fractions effectively with students in the next six weeks. Meanwhile, for home study, students will review past topics and fractions via a number of engaging activities.

Science Study and Projects
There's lots to do to catch up on all the science expectations. We'll move towards this goal too.

Reading, reading, and reading more
Students are doing a great job with their reading and we'll continue to foster lots of focused time in this direction in the days ahead.