Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Test Review

Yesterday students worked on a test review. The review presented a great degree of challenge. The questions required a variety of skill, strategy, and knowledge so there was a lot of brain switching throughout the process. This annoyed and challenged students. I helped as many as I could as they struggled through the problems all the while wondering if I could have prepared them better. We worked for a while on this unit, but we could have used another month to solidify the learning yet the curriculum plan doesn't allow for another month and I know the learning will be revisited in other ways during the next unit.

Today we'll continue the test review. I'll start the lesson acknowledging the struggle that existed yesterday and providing a number of tips and strategies for completing the assignment with success. I'll also be there to help and encourage asking questions and seeking support from me and classmates too.

The bottom line is that students have to have an open attitude and willingness to think flexibly, try out solutions, and remember the many ways we discussed and tried out multiplication throughout the unit study. Fortunately the students are motivated to do well, helpful to one another, and willing to speak up and reach out for help. This learning is important and we'll move through it as best we can today. Onward.