Saturday, December 01, 2018

Deepening the Curriculum Program with SEL

The more I learn about SEL, the more I realize that we'll do well with Social Emotional Learning (SEL) if we embed those efforts throughout the curriculum. Curriculum leaders shared information from Michele Borba's article, "Nine Competencies for Teaching Empathy" in Educational Leadership, October 2018.

I translated the article into a chart with questions that I can use to deepen the curriculum program to embed empathy development throughout the curriculum. I'll likely engage students with these question during class meetings with an explicit focus on building greater empathy. I'll also use the questions and chart with colleagues as we continually deepen our teaching/learning program so that it is a robust program that teaches the whole child.

I find that translating good research into readily available questions and actions is a good way to begin to embed that information into classroom teaching and learning.

Link to Chart