Saturday, December 01, 2018

Curriculum Inspiration and Development

Our curriculum program continues to evolve. I believe that this is the right direction for any curriculum program since what we teach should mirror the world we live in and that world is continually evolving. Of course how this evolution occurs is important. Rather than tight top-down directives, I believe that curriculum evolution should be more organic, natural, and inclusive.

Recently we received a curriculum memo. In the past those memos have not always been inviting or inclusive, but this time I felt there was much more of an effort to invite the voices and thoughts of many. I also felt that the information shared in many ways reflected a will to move the curriculum in a more holistic, inclusive direction. This is positive.

As I read through the many notes, I found the notes about equity and empathy thought provoking. I also found some useful facts that will help me to better discuss curriculum assessments and information with families and students. This too was positive.

To move a curriculum forward requires inspiration and inclusivity. The voices from all stakeholders should be welcomed at the curriculum development table, and the evolution should be well supported by research as well as observation, experience, and intuition.

To me Linda Darling Hammond and Channa Cook-Harvey's recent article about teaching the whole child provides an excellent direction for curriculum evolution. I've read the article several times and will like revisit that article again soon.

When we lead each other with positivity, inclusion, voice, and choice, we lay a foundation for optimal curriculum development, the kind of development that truly engages, empowers, and educates children well.