Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Working Within Tight Parameters

As an educator I work in multiple tight confines. Often my ideas are disregarded and my efforts stymied by a lack of respect or interest. I believe that most educators face this situation.

There are many changes I would personally make to improve education, however my efforts to make change in these areas have gone unsupported. Those changes include the following:
  • greater opportunity for coding and movie making for young children
  • less tight parameters related to math education and scope and sequence obedience
  • the use of Khan Academy
  • flattened hierarchy by adopting co-coaching models, leadership opportunities/responsibilities for all educators, less administrators and more time-on-task-with-student educators
  • revised models of RTI and special education intervention
  • revised purchasing processes so teachers don't have to spend as much time or their own money to get the materials they need to teach well
  • more teacher voice and choice overall
  • sufficient time for prep and planning as well as sufficient resources
That said, I will work within these tight parameters while still advocating for greater voice and choice with regard to the work I do. As a classroom educator my experience, education, and effort is often dismissed and disregarded while those with far less experience are often given the task of telling me what to do.

I believe teaching/education organizations need to update their roles, schedules, and structures to be more modern, inclusive, and effective. I can see zillions of ways to to do this and will continue to look for ways to effect this change. I will also continue my recent efforts of digging in with greater focus on the day-to-day ways I can teach every child well as I work with grade-level colleagues, families, and students. Onward.