Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Test Day: Math Assessment

Students will take a math assessment today. I'll use their results to make decisions with the grade-level team about next steps with regard to the core curriculum and Response to Intervention efforts. In order to stay faithful to the systemwide scope-and-sequence, I taught the unit in short time. It would have been helpful to have a couple more weeks to focus on the material, however there are many standards to master in fifth grade and I don't want to run out of time.

Generally students are doing quite well with the material. Many will be successful with the test and some with need additional teaching after the test. I'll continue to weave these standards into later units and review.

Most students will take the test online and offline at the same time. The offline option gives them space to figure out their answers while the online test allows students to see their scores and review their answers with me right away. The online test also provides me with a helpful spreadsheet of student answers that I can analyze as needed to inform the curriculum program. I simply place the score on the paper copy and send the test home with children the same day if the test is completed.