Friday, June 22, 2018

What's Your Place?

As I consider the cacophony that the end of the school year sometimes becomes, I am thinking about my place in the school house. Where do I belong and what should be doing?

That might seem to be an easy answer to anyone who is distanced from school life--you're the teacher so your job is to teach the children is probably their response, however, the answer is not that simple since schools are not exactly straightforward, instead they are like a web of service delivery where almost every service intersects with every other service. There's a lot to contend with.

For a long time I've been thinking about and acting with respect to how to make schools better. I have always felt that better systems will lead to better teaching and learning. I've shared a lot of ideas and have had a lot to say. Some words have been well received and others less well received. Advocacy has been challenging.

Next year I hope to really zero in on the fifth grade program and in particular math, science, and STEAM teaching and learning. I'm looking forward to growing my skill in that area. I also want to focus on building the best possible relationships with the children I teach, their families, and my grade level colleagues as I know that good relationships are cornerstones of effective teaching and learning. With regard to the bigger picture of school and the systems that effect good teaching and learning, I need to return to the drawing board and think about my role and voice in this regard. While I see endless opportunity for betterment, those ideas are often not welcome or heard. This has been a consistent struggle for me, and I will continue to think about that when opportunity for voice, choice, and leadership arise.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of bettering my service and work with fifth graders next year, and in the meantime, I'll read and research a bit to get ready.