Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Life and Death Abound

I don't know if it's my age, the fact that I live in a densely populated area, or because I am one of a very big family, but life and death abound in every direction. In the past few months, there have been many deaths that have saddened me and made me think a lot about what's important in life. Each of the people who have passed has left a valuable legacy of good example, important lessons, and life well lived. While these people have passed from the day-to-day living, their spirit, energy, and lives live on in my memories and my choices.

As well as death, there has been so much to celebrate too. All around me there are weddings, graduations, new babies, and commitments to new adventures and meaningful paths of work, relationship, and play. Plus my work as an educator puts me at the center of children's energy most of the day everyday--there's never a dull moment there, and all you have to do is look into children's eyes or hear their words to find hope and inspiration for the future. They are the bright lights of society, they hold the keys to happiness for all of us.

As all this life swirls within and around me, it's important to find those quiet places for reflection and thought--spaces to find the meaning in all this living, and then it's important to make good choices so your life also exemplifies the important lessons and examples from the people who have passed as we continue to live our lives in ways that matter.