Sunday, May 27, 2018

Choosing College Courses With My Son

My son is attending a liberal arts college program next year.

I remain a fan of this kind of education as I believe it broadens ones perspective of life and living.

I also realize that not every child is directed in this way, and that's okay too. There are many ways to travel the life journey.

Already the college has reached out to my son with magnificent study choices. There were a number of seminars he could choose from--seminars that will definitely change the way he looks at the world and the diversity of people who populate places near and far.

The two of us discussed the options. He was immediately drawn to professors and courses that created an opportunity to work with small groups of students with intense multi-disciplinary study. I was delighted that he was directed in that way as I am looking forward to the discussions we'll have and what I'll learn too as he studies these amazing topics with skilled, experienced scholars.

I also found it interesting to see what he was choosing versus what I would choose--we are different thinkers, and that's interesting too.

When I was a high school graduate, I had little knowledge of college. When I received the college letter asking me to choose a major, I found myself looking up the titles in the dictionary and chose psychology because I was interested in people. When we lined up to choose our courses, I started with the requirements. Later as I became more knowledgeable about the campus and offerings, I chose courses based on interests and the quality of the professors. I found that a good professor, no matter what they taught, was a great avenue to good learning.

There's so much to learn in this world, and to talk about this learning with our children, friends, and family is to develop everyone's ability to choose well and learn a lot.