Sunday, March 04, 2018

Do your homework

One big problem in today's culture is that too many of us rush to conclusions and decisions without doing our homework.

We are not making the time to do the good work that helps us to make decisions that matter.

What does this good work entail?

Good work demands that we do the following:

  • Read the research
  • Analyze, discuss, and debate the research
  • Consult the experts
  • Analyze what's happening now
  • Make good decisions with others about next steps and the decision path that will lead those steps, a path that includes frequent stopping points to review, reflect, and revise as needed.
What does this mean for my own teaching/learning/living work.

First it means that I have to make the time for reading. I've created this reading list to lead that work. 

Next it means that I have to continue to work with collaborative groups that matter--groups like my grade-level team, school committees, state committees and others online and off that will help me to analyze the research and make timely decisions related to my work and the work of others.

This also includes using the research to advocate for decision making processes and efforts that matter in our greater culture. Rather than being satisfied with Trump and his cronies' "shoot from the hip" slick sound bites, I want to push our leaders to use good process to reach decisions that elevate individuals' opportunity for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

So as I think today, I am thinking about the fact that I have to do my homework as outlined above, and to do that homework well, I need to establish a good routine, collaborate well with groups that matter, avoid unnecessary or distracting efforts, and move ahead.