Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Staying Focused: Revision and Refinement

As someone who likes to entertain the big picture, it's a challenge to ignore that in order to stay focused on the areas where I have true control and capacity.

For example, I may notice a big picture event that could be changed for betterment, yet to spend time on that is to have less time for some of the finer points of teaching and learning.

At this point in my career, I'm working to steer my ship more into the areas of betterment related to the finer points of teaching, the small areas where I can truly make change and do a good job. This takes some extra effort since I'm a big picture thinker who likes to think about systematic change and betterment.

So as I think about this, where can I find the positive challenges in the smaller, more defined areas of teaching.

First, when it comes to serving students well, it is limitless with regard to what you can do. Every child no matter how loved and cared for at ages ten and eleven are open to more attention and care. There's rarely a child who will say no to a teacher-student lunch, conversation on the playground, a chance to play a game with a teacher or extra attention of any kind. There is always more we can do to care for children, and in these times sadly, there are a fair number of children in every community that will benefit from more love, attention and care. I can certainly put my energy there.

Next, I can always improve the learning environment and program. As the room continually morphs and changes to meet new teaching/learning objectives, that means that I need to continually renovate and remake the space to fit it all in as well as meet the new objectives. That takes time and the more time I commit to that, the better the learning environment will be. Also, there's limitless opportunity to improve the learning program with the following efforts:

  • Researching and applying for grants
  • Research and improving the program materials
  • Reaching out to learn and share with those beyond the system in order to improve the program
  • Finding, making, and utilizing a greater variety of materials
  • Deeper and better analysis about program results and efforts
  • Greater collaboration with the teaching/learning team
Then, of course, is the focus on me, the educator. If we're not energized and ready we will not teach well. Teaching is a sport when you consider the amount of energy we use daily to support and care for large numbers of children with little to no down time. To do this well means you have to take care of yourself and your family--if not, you simply won't be able to do the best job possible.

While I enjoy the big think of systems and how to improve schools, I am focused on the revision and refinement right now--the kind of work that elevates the teaching/learning program for the children in my midst. I will continue to consider big think and do that mostly with regard to my writing and professional work outside of my daily expectations. Onward.