Friday, February 09, 2018

Are You Embedding SEL Into Your Classroom Program?

Book Reference
I finally received copies of the book I co-authored with John Dacey and Gian Criscitiello. It felt good to hold the book in my hand and think about all the work that went into it.

As I read through the chapters, I thought about how educators might use this book to uplift their teaching/learning programs.

First, I believe that when educators read the book, they'll realize that they already teach and encourage apt social-emotional learning all the time, and that this book provides them with the language and connections to make that reality easier to communicate and more explicit.

I also believe that educators will enjoy trying out the activities in the book. Since we worked together on the book, I am excited about trying out some of the activities that Gian and John contributed--activities that we discussed with depth.

John Dacey's extensive experience and research in the subject area is evident throughout the book, and I want to read through the chapter introductions again to make sure that I'm including all the main categories of social emotional learning in the teaching/learning program. I'll likely use the book to reflect on that once again over the summer. While you read, you'll notice how critical and life-enriching SEL is for children, and you'll want to make sure that you update language and learning experiences to reflect that. The lessons will serve you well as you collaborate with colleagues and family members too.

If you choose to read the book, know that I welcome your feedback too. As our world becomes more and more interdependent, the need for SEL increases, and I want to work to continue to support this reality in ways that matter as I move forward with teaching, learning, and parenting too.