Thursday, January 11, 2018

Science in the Elementary Classroom

Students love learning science, however there are some challenges when it comes to teaching science in the elementary classroom. The challenges include times, space, planning, and prep. For example today as I transitioned from a science lesson to a reading rotation in 60 seconds, I didn't really have the time to put away all the science materials in a careful way. Hence I have to build in that time for clean-up. Another challenge is the noise factor. Science is exciting and I say it's impossible to keep 25 excited learners quiet as experiment are taking place yet schools are crowded places with large numbers of children typically in one room for most of the day--hence noise becomes an issue.

Despite the challenges, science remains lots of fun, and as we work to embed our new units I'm sure we'll get a good routine going. Onward.