Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Listen for What Matters

How do you decide what matters with regard to your professional efforts and ethics? Where do you get that guidance?

I imagine that many of us begin to get that guidance from within. We consult our personal values and rationale for the professional work we do, and use that information to guide our work.

I also suppose that most people use local, state, and/or national organizational goals, mission statements, and vision to guide their work. What matters to the organization(s) you belong to?

Further, I imagine that one's goals come from the teams and clients they work with and for. What does your team expect, and what do your clients want or need?

It's important to listen to all perspectives when we determine what matters with regard to our work, and when there's a lack of clarity, it's important to ask, What's expected here? What's valued here?

When we meet the personal, organizational, and client expectations related to what matters, we do well with our professional work. Of course there will sometimes be a disconnect between what you personally feel is important and what the organization and/or client(s) want. As we conduct our professional work, we are also working to synthesize and prioritize expectations, goals, and vision--deciding what's most important for all involved.

As I think about this, some of the values and efforts that matter most where I teach and learn include the following:
  • Providing students with the teaching/learning experiences they need to master the standards and curriculum set.
  • Contributing to the organization in ways that help the team meet the identified goals.
  • Learning and using that knowledge to develop programs in meaningful ways that matter to students, colleagues, and the organization in general.
  • Presence and Positivity: Being there almost every day and being ready to do the work expected. 
  • Respect, Responsibility, and Professional Ethics: Doing the work in ways that maintains the expected professionalism and respect the job requires.
#listen is my #oneword this year, and I'll listen carefully to myself, the research I do, those around me and those that work with me to determine what matters most with regard to the teaching/learning I do. I'll consult the goals set and vision continually updated in this matter too. I look forward to the many debates and discussions that will occur as well as we focus on the goals and activities that matter most.