Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The AC Factor

We had a heat wave and some classrooms have air conditioning and others don't. That makes a big difference.

This year I happen to have air conditioning. The room is comfortable and children relaxed. In years past I've been in small room with large groups of students with no air conditioning, and I can tell you that makes everyone agitated, creating tough conditions for teaching and learning.

When I was a young child few had air conditioners. Even our cars did not have AC. We learned to live with it, but having air conditioning definitely is a step up. You have more energy and comfort with air conditioning.

Will global warming create conditions where schools that don't have air conditioning are now updated with air conditioning? What are other ways to mitigate the air conditioning factor? Private schools start later and end earlier--is that the kind of school year that makes air conditioning a non-issue.

I don't really know, but what I do know is that it is a sensitive issue during a heat wave in school--a sensitive issue we all have to be aware of.

Fortunately the heat wave has passed.