Saturday, May 06, 2017

Building Capacity: Catching Up in Math

I'm thinking a lot about the issue of students who come to fifth grade one to two years behind with regard to the expected math standards knowledge, concept, and skill.

This is one idea I have. Let me know what you think.
  • Assess standardized scores over the summer.
  • Invite parents of students who received less than proficient in for an early conference. Tell those parents that you would like their child to make good gains in math during the year, and ask what they think we can do to help their child meet that goal.
  • Together create a plan.
  • Monitor the plan regularly and revise as needed with parents and students.
  • I heard about a plan similar to this when I attended ECET2National in San Diego a couple of years ago. The teachers using the plan make terrific progress with students. I think this might be a step in the right direction. 
Let me know what ideas you have to add to this?