Friday, January 13, 2017

Blunt Learning

A valued colleague shared a learning challenge with me. "Ouch," it hurt, but I knew it was a good message and something to truly strive for. The opportunity to climb this learning mountain has presented itself and now I have the chance to scale the terrain to reach a new learning summit.

What will this new learning bring?

If I successfully climb this peak, the new learning will bring greater contribution, understanding, and impact--all learning goals that are valuable to me.

Contribution is important because I like to work with the team and do what I can to forward good work.

Understanding is important because you can never do as much or as good if you don't take the time to learn and understand the people, content, and circumstances related to issues and concerns.

Impact matters because I like to have the opportunity to bring forth good ideas with others--I like positive change as I  believe it makes living and learning better.

Each peak we reach for is challenging. New learning is filled with obstacles trepidation too. But to get better makes a good difference in what you can do with and for others, and that brings terrific satisfaction.

As I start this journey, I want to remember the following:

  • There is so much to learn from others.
  • It's best to take your time. It's okay to go slow sometimes and pause when an answer is not readily available.
  • There are many right answers, and typically, when a group of good people get together, the best answers arise. (I love the Margaret Mead quote related to this, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.")
So a new journey begins. I'll keep my comrades close, listen, and learn as I travel. Onward.