Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Search for Understanding

Sometimes understanding is a straight path. Information is shared and everyone understands.

At other times the path is less straight, curvy, with blind turns and hidden driveways. These kinds of paths demand more questions, caution, observation, and care.

Recently I was involved in an issue like this--an issue that sparked curiosity and even some worry. Is what I'm seeing actually different than what is true? Do I need to take a closer look? How shall I proceed?

I listened to others' accounts of the path. Their questions, reactions, and view have helped me to look at the situation with new eyes. I've slowed down the pace and responded with greater attention and deliberation.

We don't always understand.

That's why it's important to ask questions, share ideas, and work together to forge the path.

Several of us while deliberating an issue similar to the one above recently found greater light and understanding. We knew more together about how to forward the path.

What seems clear to one may be blurry to another. That's why it's essential to share our viewpoints, work towards clarity, question, respond, and make transparent research, plans, actions, and attitudes.

It will never be perfect, but mostly, together the path is better.