Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Teach Math Well: Join my Journey

I am focusing in during school year 2016-2017. I'm putting almost all of my energy and focus into teaching math well. Fortunately our shared teaching/learning model at fifth grade allows me the luxury of doing this.

To do this, I'm going to focus my professional study, research, writing, and other learning choices on the the fifth grade math teaching year.

I'm charting these efforts by writing a blog/book about teaching fifth grade math well.  I'm organizing the book from summer study efforts and mindset to classroom set-up to lessons for each standard and unit. I'm hoping to use the blog as a guide to my math teaching next year. As I teach I'll reference the blog and update accordingly. I welcome your wisdom, questions, and ideas as I journey this course.

In a sense, I've had my feet in many pockets of teaching/learning work over the past ten years or so. At this point, I am ready to focus in on this single subject--a subject for which there is lots of discussion, new research, and efforts today.

If you'd like to follow my journey, please sign on to Teach Fifth Grade Math Well. I'm looking forward to this journey, a journey that I expect will result in better math teaching and learning for all of my fifth grade students and the students of others who join this journey with me.
'