Friday, April 15, 2016

Prepping Presentations and Other Professional Development

Book Link
I'm giving a number of presentations this summer related to learning design, our shared teaching model, and math/writing teaching/learning.

To prepare for these presentations, I want to focus in on the principles of adult learning theory. I began this journey in the fall by attending Dan Callahan's Presenters Workshop as part of the MTA. Next, I'll read "Sit & Get" by Marcia Tate. As a teacher for young children for 30 years, I have a good grasp on what it takes to teach young children, but when it comes to presenting to adults, there's still room for growth and I hope that Tate's book will help me out.

I'm looking forward to growing my skill with respect to presenting to colleagues and other educators in the months ahead. If you have other resources or tips for me, please let me know.

I continually revise the professional learning path as I move along. I find that if I don't list it, I don't do it. So the plan ahead includes the following:

April
  • Prepping presentations with adult learning research and study.
  • Continued TLI School Redesign study and work
  • Studying and shortlisting local union bylaws and contract
May
  • Focus on STEAM Teaching/Learning
  • Preparing 2016-2017 Transition Materials for Students, Families, and the Middle School
June
  • Prepping presentations for Wayland Institutes and other Summer Conferences 
  • TLI Capstone project
July-August
  • Reviewing 2015-2016 math curriculum, revising and updating
  • Reading The Power of X, Revisiting Boaler's book, Mathematical Mindsets
  • Planning field studies for 2016-2017
  • Writing WPSF grant for 2016-2017 re culturally proficient teaching
  • Reviewing all other aspects of the 2016-2017 Curriculum
  • Reading Choice Words, What White Folks Who Teach in the Hood Get Wrong. . . 
  • Research and Identify Fall Conferences for attendance and presentation