Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Be Wary of Conjecture

It's easy to let our emotions fuel conjecture, but in serious and important situations, you have to find the facts.

A long time ago I learned that important lesson from a wise colleague. An issue happened and I wanted to quickly judge and conjecture. The wise colleague advised that I not do either and wait until I had the facts. I followed her advise, and found out later that my conjecture was wrong--the story was much different than I imagined once the facts were clear.

In school situations, it's always important to gather the facts before we judge. It's important to give all involved voice and consideration and never judge until we have the important facts.

Conjecture is good when we see trends or possible issues to investigate, but it's not good when it comes to final decisions, accusation, or judgement. Onward.