Sunday, January 03, 2016

Farewell to the Holiday Vacation, Hello to a New Year of Teaching/Learning

Today's the last day of the holiday vacation. I must say it was the most relaxing vacation I've had in my entire life. Before this every holiday was over-full of events and I always ended the week more tired than I started it.

But that's not the case this time. I saw a lot of great movies, played Scrabble, got together with family and friends, ate some delicious foods, read, researched, wrote, and relaxed--a good time. Of course another week would make it just perfect, but that's not the case so it's time to move on and back to the professional/personal routine.

The focus for the weeks ahead includes a balanced routine of personal and professional efforts including the following:
  • A focus on successful implementation and development of our fifth grade shared teaching model. For me, that means a strong focus on optimal collaboration.
  • A student-centered focus on teaching well using the questions culled from Lehmann and Chase's book, Building School 2.0, regular feedback, and worthy learning design with and for students. 
  • A focus on how we grade assessments and student/parent feedback and impact on our shared teaching model. 
  • Preparation for the ECET2 conference share and contribution. 
  • Preparation for and participation in the Mathematical Mindset blended professional book group.
  • Continued research and learning about math education and education in general via reading Mathematical Mindset, The Joy of X, and The Innovator's Mindset.
  • Continued participation and contribution to Teachers.do, NEA/MTA/CTQ Teachers Leadership Initiative project, and our local teachers' union. 
Teaching young children everyday keeps these initiatives and foci alive since the children before me call me to be the best that I can be for them each and every day. They are the muses that keep the fire of professional learning and growth burning, and with my colleagues, we'll continue to evolve to do what we can for the children in our charge now as well as those children that we will teach in the future. I have a feeling that it's going to be a good year of teaching and learning ahead. Onward.