Monday, December 07, 2015

Math Read Aloud

One wonderful book shared.
How often do you couple read aloud and math class. Tonight as my university students presented a large number of wonderful math children's books, I thought about the effect that more math reading would have on our students. First the books introduce many real world math situations. Next, the books introduce important math concepts and language. Also, the books are inviting, beautiful, entertaining, and engaging. Further, the books often offer great opportunities for interdisciplinary learning that includes math.

Students noted the positive effect math children's books might have had on their own math learning as young children. As I listened to and learned about many stories I wondered why I don't include great math picture books in math class.

Do you employ math children's books during math class? If so, how often? Also how do you employ these wonderful stories? I want to know more.