Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Teaching Math: Study Groups

At fifth grade students are just beginning to think about studying for tests. Today we'll focus on that as students prepare for their first unit test.

There's a study packet, and we'll create groups of students whose job it will be to help each other complete the packet as they study for the upcoming test. I'll make myself available to help as much as possible with regard to questions they can't answer or problems they struggle with.

Before we start, I'll ask students, How can you help each other practice and study for the upcoming test using this packet of problems and questions?

After students share ideas, I'll send small groups of like-styled learners to small spaces around the room to study. I'll move around the room to support the learners. I hope this will be an empowering moment for the students as they help each other learn. Let's see.