Monday, October 26, 2015

The Math Edit

Today I'll engage in a large number of math edits.

What is a math edit?

A math edit is a close look at students' mathematical thinking, model making, writing, or assignment completion preferably in a one-to-one conference.

Students will individually present their work. I'll take a close look. If there are areas for improvement or change, I'll discuss that with the child and give him or her an opportunity to make those changes. If the project is at the completion point, I'll highlight its strengths and perhaps a few ideas for the next time around.

These one-to-one edits will give me a good look at each child's mathematical thinking and understanding. By hanging up the projects for all to see, it will give students a good look at how other students interpreted and completed the assignment. That's positive share with lots of potential for growth.

While I edit with individuals, the other students will work to add finishing touches to their projects and/or complete multiple online assignments and catch-up work in their showcase portfolios or with other assignments.

Math edits take time, yet the result of that shared thinking, discussion, and coaching is terrific when it comes to depth and understanding. I'm sure I'll have more to say once the edits are complete, but in the meantime, I've got to get ready for the intensity ahead.