Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Waiting for Test Scores

A few preliminary standardized State scores were published for educators and administrators today. I took a look which led me to a number of questions I want to investigate with greater depth. Clearly, in some areas students did quite well and in some others there was greater struggle. Once I look closely at the questions and specific student results/learning profiles, and then think about the teaching/learning year and years past, I'll be able to discern to a large degree what teaching worked well with regard to this test and where there's need for change.

While scores never tell the whole picture of learning and teaching, they do offer some helpful information to use as you think about the year ahead. I continue to be a fan of streamlined standardized testing that's overall result, time, and money are equal to the positive impact they have on teaching and learning.

I wish we didn't have to wait so long for the PARCC scores (or the decision and dates regarding PARCC) since we'll lose a lot of time with regard to altering our program to better meet the test expectations, but I expect in years ahead, the scores of PARCC or another assessment if the State chooses will arrive at an earlier date in order to inform the teaching/learning program in proactive ways.

In the meantime, I've filed the first analysis and will return to the data as I plan the STEAM units ahead with greater specificity.