Saturday, May 23, 2015

Fraction Game Day: Engaging Student Learning

Students happily playing math games in our school cafeteria. 
Student engagement and learning draws my attention. I also can't resist a good teaching/learning idea. So yesterday when I noticed approximately fifty students fully engaged in our school cafeteria, I had to take a look.

There they were sitting in small groups at multiple round tables playing a number of math games. The talented teacher choreographed the event with multiple, diverse game stations and student groups. The students from two classes moved from fraction game to fraction game during the morning math session with interest.

I never thought of using our school cafeteria that way (why not?). It was such a great way to collaborate with another teacher to foster a dynamic learning/practice event. I hope to use this idea in the future. Please let me know if you have anything to add.