Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Learning and Applying Study Skills

Tomorrow during math we'll focus on study skills.

There's another big test coming up, and I want to make the connection between studying and doing well on the test.

I've created a study packet. Students have practiced and learned the skills in the packet throughout the year, and now to prepare for the test, they'll have the chance to use the packet as a study resource.

First, I'll say, "Next week we have a test that includes the math skills you've studied and learned this year, what do you think is a good way to study for that test?"  I'll listen to their suggestions.

Then I'll tell them that I created this packet of problems that represents the work we've covered and that it's a good resource for studying for the test. After that I'll let them work with partners and small groups to apply their study strategies to the packet to help each other review and remember the material taught.

I'll coach and assist as needed. I'll also reteach when required.

I want to give students the tools to do their best on this system-wide test. I also want them to know that they have a lot of control over their performance since making the time to study well will help them to do well on the test.

In many ways these are new skills for fifth graders, skills I'll tie to the student's success story we watched and discussed today in class.