Wednesday, February 11, 2015

STEAM Teaching Continued Planning and Prep

Prepping the STEAM center and finding time to plan the learning experiences and teach all the other standards has been a challenge.

But, now with increased time at the end of the year due to snow days and the fact that we'll have met most of our math standards by April break, I see an opening for greater investment into this kind of teaching and learning.

What do I need to do?
  1. Work with students to once again organize the materials--we've yet to find the best way to keep all these materials organized and accessible, but we haven't given up.
  2. Start to play with projects and materials.  Rather than lots and lots of writing, I need to do lots and lots of play to familiarize myself with all these materials and possibilities. Of course, this play and investigation is best done with students, so starting a science creativity and imagination time twice a week will be a good start.
  3. Learn. I can learn this best by visiting museums, signing up for interactive courses, and reading books such as Invent to Learn.
Of course all of this will be impacted by my professional role next year which has yet to be determined due to system-wide upcoming changes. If the role change demands research and study in other standards-based areas, that will create a change in direction.

In the meantime, however, I'll make this work a part of my reflection and study on my own time and during the many tests I'll proctor during the spring months.  Onward.