Thursday, January 01, 2015

New Year: It's All About Routine

A good routine leads to good work, peace, and happiness.

A good routine makes space for the unexpected.

A good routine does not exhaust or extinguish our drive, dedication, and perseverance.

A good routine helps us achieve our goals.

So rather than a new year's resolution, I'm making a new year's routine--a pattern of weekly events that will help my family, students, and I to be happy, healthy, and successful.

What will that routine include?

Home
  • Shopping about once a week and filling our cabinets with healthy foods.
  • A good dose of sleep each day.
  • Time for friends and family.
  • Attendance at children's events. 
  • Time to move--a walk, swim, trip to the gym. . . . 
School
I want to discuss this with my teaching partner, but as I think about the new year schedule, I want to fit in time each day for reading, writing, teamwork, creativity, and standards-base learning. I'd like to rethink the day a bit in order to better boost students' learning-to-learn mindsets and behaviors in engaging, empowering ways. 

I'll work a bit on the details of these routines today and in the week to come, but I know that a good routine leads to good living and good living leads to a satisfying life.