Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Flocabulary Transitions

Flocabulary enlivens the learning. 
I like music a lot, and I like the way music builds students' vocabulary in positive ways. That's why I like Flocabulary so much.

I generally use Flocabulary's energetic hip-hop, rap videos during transitions. I play the prose as students enter and leave the room. I also play the tunes at important learning junctures, times when knowing that word, phrase, fact, or concept is imperative to learning and applying the material well.

I hear students singing the Flocabulary raps as they work and learn. Flocabulary has also inspired students to write their own academic verse. For others, the "Week in Rap" has led them to deeper investigations and discussions about world news and events.

I find myself comparing the way that Flocabulary depicts and talks about a concept with the ways I teach the concept. For example, yesterday as I played Flocab's Number Line rap, I liked the way they presented the linear line movement with a vertical plane to demonstrate what increase and decrease look like in two different ways. As a relatively new platform, Flocabulary is getting better every day--it's clear they're listening to their audience and making regular improvements to the rap content accuracy, quantity, and quality.

Using Flocabulary to invite students to the learning is much preferred to the use of teacher voice and direction--it's a joyful way to begin, end, or move a learning experience along during the day. I recommend.