Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Are Educators Skilled Communicators?



Are educators skilled communicators?

Does that matter?

After a troubling incident last year, one that I ended up learning a lot from, I've been prompted to think a lot about optimal communication.

I reached out for some great coaching which has taught me a lot, and I am about to embark on a research effort related to the topic.

Then yesterday when I showed students a good Flocabulary video about digital citizenship and good communication, I was once again reminded of the topic. I liked the way Flocabulary handles the subject.

All of this brings me back to the question, Are educators skilled communicators and does that matter?

I believe, at this time in society, it is imperative that we all develop optimal communication skills as that's advantageous to all aspects of our life in a world that is increasingly interdependent, populated, and social online and off.

What does it mean to be a good communicator?

How do we develop those skills in ourselves and our students?

What protocols do we follow as individuals and as organizations?

What are the benefits of good communication and what does that look like?

As in any area of competence, there are those who seem to have been born with the ability to communicate well. Others struggle greatly with the skill and most of us fall somewhere on the continuum from skilled to challenged.

As I begin this quest with greater attention, I wonder what links, questions, and thoughts you'd prioritize with regard to this study?  Who are your best resources for information in this realm?  And, how does this study play out in your teaching/learning organization?

I look forward to your share.

Note:
This is a story you may want to share with students.