Wednesday, November 12, 2014

RTI: Sharing Metrics with Students

I have a group of about 40 students during our Response to Intervention math period which occurs twice a week. Typically I have the help of a talented teaching assistant too.

The RTI blocks last 30 minutes. We begin with a 5-minute introduction. Today's introduction will include a quick look at RTI metrics. Then students will move into a number of spaces. Some will follow an independent online learning menu and others will meet with me for coaching.

The metric share is intended to motivate and inform student learning.

I want all my students to complete grade three Khan Academy exercises as a way to shore up everyone's foundation with math vocabulary, skill, concept, and knowledge.

Khan Academy has a large array of great metrics.

I'll start today's RTI with a review of the class data. I'll show the grade three graph which depicts who has completed the goal and who is at 10%, 20%, 30%. . .90% completion.

I'll also show them the time stats as I'm working to emphasize that good learning is not magic, but instead the combination of time, attention, apt strategy, and the choice to learn.

Further, I'll show one child's individual metrics, a child who agrees to share his/her stats. That will allow students to see the information I have to analyze their work and efforts.

While I continue to believe that the metrics available only depict a fraction of an individual's profile, I also know that using metrics in the right ways can work to motivate and inform both educators and students with regard to their learning efforts and success.

Once the metrics are shared, students will disperse to their learning spaces. The online menu will begin with grade three Khan Academy and extend to grade 4, grade 5 and then other activities.

The students are typically on task and invested in this thirty-minute learning module. I also like the time I have to coach individuals in person and by way of the online learning menu during this block of time.