Thursday, July 10, 2014

Theme 2014-2015: Observation

This morning on Twitter, Dan Forbes asked us to share a word we're focused on. That got me thinking. His word was CONNECTION. My word was OBSERVATION.

As I freely read a number of tweets, there were many connections to my theme word.

Hence next year's theme begins: OBSERVATION.

Why have I chosen this theme? Well, like most choices I make, the roots to this choice are deep.

A long, long time ago during a week-long retreat, this theme came to me as I walked the beach in the early morning hours at Narragansett; yet my mind and life was too busy to embrace the challenge.

Now many years later, my very busy life has slowed down quite a bit. The children are mostly independent and on their way. Other family members are rooted, busy, and engaged. My home is simple, easy to care for, and comfortable while my school life is rightly directed and organized to serve children well.

I have more questions than answers, and my world is filled with amazing people online and off. Therefore I want to make time to see. A time that doesn't require knowing, choosing, or directing, but instead a time of observation.

Thanks to Ira Socol for getting me started with a quote from his chemistry professor, "The first step in any research is to climb a hill and look around." and a link from his blog, "The art of seeing (Part II) The Practice." 

I have always loved adventure and travel, and I'm so happy that I live in a time when I can journey from the comfort of my home with people near and far, and that is the route, in part, this observation journey will take. Onward.


Observation Framework (Actually it seems to be a mindfulness framework)

What actions and words are contributing to positive school culture, student learning, and apt collegial collaboration?

What times of the day are most successful with respect to quality teaching and learning, and what times of the day are most challenging in that regard? What's going on that contributes to the ease or challenge?

Who is supporting learning in dynamic, forward thinking ways? What does that look like? How does that happen?

What communication, action, initiative, and other cycles contribute to the best we can do with regard to teaching children well?

Which initiatives move full circle from start to assessment to revision to more effort until the goal is reached? Who is leading those initiatives? What are they doing to promote efficient, successful efforts?

What elements of the teaching/learning pattern work well, and what elements don't work well?

When is the teaching/learning environment engaging and empowering, and when is it challenging and less positive?

What tools, materials, and strategies engage and empower students leading to substantial learning and positive affect? What do those elements have in common?