Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Teach Well: The Reflective Path Continues

There's a temptation to reflect on all 33 elements outlined in the Massachusetts' new evaluation system at once. Let's get it over with and move on, I think. Yet, as I engage in other reflective paths, I realize there's strength to limiting the reflective path to one reflection a day. Once I write and think about the topic then leave it, I find that connections to that reflection emerge throughout the day. It's almost as if the reflection becomes tangible moving throughout my mind during the day taking root with depth and example.

Therefore, I'll continue the once-a-day routine for each element with the Summer Reflections: TeachFocus site. I invite you to join me in this reflection path. You can pace the path in any way that fits your schedule. Perhaps you'll save the posts for the week before school or you and your team will use the posts to determine one or two areas of focus for the teaching year. You may also use this site as you think about your teaching/learning year goals--which element gives you the most challenge, and which elements match your expertise and experience, elements you may help to strengthen in others.

I hope to return to this website throughout the year as well as I assess and develop my own teaching repertoire. The more I reflect on the elements of teaching, the more I realize that teaching is a substantial and challenging profession--a profession that deserves our best efforts as well as community and organizational support. To teach well demands a wide range of skills, a strong foundation of knowledge, and professional demeanor, outlook, and effort.

I welcome your thoughts as you reflect on your professional work and goals this summer. Let me know if you have suggestions for the site as well.