Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Elementary Entrepreneurs: Making Our School Better

As I surfed the net looking for science projects related to next year's curriculum, a new curriculum for me, I found myself finding lots of the same projects. While the projects are interesting and I'll invest in some, I desired something that was more central to my students' lives and school experience.

That's when I thought of the possibility of an elementary school entrepreneur contest based on inventions that make our school better.

I can imagine the contest to be a family, student, and/or class project.  The project would be open to those interested.

The contest steps would include the following:

1. Identify a problem or idea for making our school community better.

2. Carefully characterize the problem perhaps using a problem analysis worksheet.

3. Come up with a solution for the problem. Create a model of the solution. Complete a solution form that includes details such as cost, materials, time line, and implementation.

4. Submit your problems and solutions to a judging committee.

5. The finalists pitch their ideas at school meeting.

6. The school votes for best student idea, class idea, and family idea.

7. The PTO funds the idea for the school.

8. There's a celebration and award ceremony.

I read today that a start-up I worked with a bit last summer, EduCanon, just won the ISTE start-up contest, and that prompted this idea as well.

I'll have to work with colleagues to see if they want to promote this idea.  In the meantime, I'll keep thinking.  Let me know if you've tried a similar idea.