Tuesday, March 18, 2014

MCAS Composition Test: A Day of Writing

Today my fourth graders are taking the MCAS Composition test. As I proctor the exam there's a part of me that would actually like to take their place as I love to write; it's a sport for me.

This year we put a lot of effort and time into writing including the dynamic SRSD approach which I believe lifted students' enthusiasm and confidence for writing across genre.

Yesterday we played with the SRSD ideas by creating "coach yourself" poems, movies, songs, and lists to strategize and prep for the test.

I thought I'd be able to correct papers while I proctor, but those papers take too much thought, thought that takes away from careful proctoring.  Instead I'll look ahead and plan for our upcoming Endangered Species project revision--an exciting, challenging learning experience to come.