Saturday, February 08, 2014

Social Media Explosion

A few year's ago it was a few thousand educators interacting on social media, and now it's an explosion of world-wide thought and share.  The growth of tools, share, and multimedia speak is amazing calling me to rethink my role on these powerful networks.

What do I notice?
  • I notice that educators everywhere are becoming much more comfortable using multiple platforms to share.
  • I notice that students are being pulled into these discussions in meaningful, productive, informative ways.
  • I notice that the voices of schools that may not have the best economic support or geographical reach are amplified by social media.
  • I notice that the gap between research and practice is narrowing at an expeditious rate via social media.
  • I notice that our world of education thought leaders and followers is growing, and our reach is better.
I am one small voice on these networks of share.  I continue to be involved because what I learn enriches my classroom work each and every day.  My students are happier, my classroom is more invigorated, and my personal growth and investment stronger.

In many cases, the most active social network leaders are secondary teachers and leaders, elementary leaders, consultants, ed-tech enthusiasts/business employees, and higher level educators.  The numbers of elementary teachers, though numerous, seem to be smaller--yet, that might be reflected in my follows and chats rather than reality.

As a veteran educator who is choosing not to join the ranks of leadership, I believe my most fruitful way to share and take from social media today is the following:
  • Learn from, and share, with the many leaders out there who are wiling to be brave, thoughtful leaders of new technology, practice, and potential.
  • Share my passion and work related to learning design with detail, research, rationale, reflection, and response. 
  • Seek the ideas, opinions, and answers from many across discipline to inform my life and work.
In the days to come (probably over the summer), I'll prune my extensive blog to reflect this new thinking and focus. Until then, I thank you for your share, support, and debate--the growth has been valuable and voluminous.  I appreciate.