Thursday, January 16, 2014

Look Beyond the Mountain

I think I can. . .I think I can . . . I think I can!
Sometimes looking beyond the mountain, gives you perspective.

Today I have a mountain of correcting and response work within eyesight--it's actually a Premium Bright Copy Paper box filled to the brim with assessments to review and respond to.  Twenty plus children can produce a lot of work.  I also have multiple online files to review and correct as evidenced by my Google Drive share feed, and progress reports to carefully write.  A 20-hour job, have I mentioned that before?

This is when procrastination, avoidance, frustration set in--more to do than will or time to do it.  We all experience this feeling at work or home, and sometimes both places at the same time (twin mountains).  Yet looking beyond the mountain, gives perspective.  When the work is done, I'll know my students better and parents will have a keener eye for their children's current strengths, goals, and interest.  The program will be revised as well after this mountain of assessment/response to better align with students' needs and program requirements.  Hence, a worthy endeavor.

Also after the mountain, there will be a field of fine literature, wonderful writing, and math exploration--all activities that bring color and life to the classroom.

Once you've looked beyond the mountain, you can make a plan to ascend the peak and wander down the other side into new learning.  It's another one of those "I Think I Can, I Think I Can. . . Little Engine That Could Moments" all teachers are familiar with.