Thursday, January 02, 2014

First Day Back: Attitude is Everything

What you do on the first day back after the holiday break makes a big difference for the second half of the school year.  This is when you set the stage for what's to come.

Hence, first think about your own attitude.  How are you feeling on this first day back?  It's likely that your feelings are similar to your students--a bit of melancholy about saying good-bye to sleeping in, play, and spending lots of time with family and friends.  There may be also a bit of excitement about the challenges, adventures, and learning opportunities in the year to come.

I'll start the morning with a bit of free writing/drawing while students settle in, and then we'll have our class meeting.

I'll start the meeting by sharing my feelings about what it feels like to be back.  I'll also share my excitement about meeting new challenges and goals, and relay the fact that there is no better feeling than working hard and achieving something worthwhile.  I'll ask the students about how they feel, and what they hope to accomplish during the second half of the school year.  I'll emphasize the fact that we're a learning team, and that means everyone is a contributor and we're all here to help one another learn.  I'll ask them what they want from me during this second half of the year, and I'll relay my goals for them.

I'll also remind them that mindset and effort are what's most important.  I'll review this blog post and simple video with them, the back-to-school newsletter, and upcoming assignments.  After all that talk, they'll certainly be ready for recess (indoor or out--depends on the temperature).

We'll spend some time reviewing an old math test and making corrections, dipping our feet into new reading response requirements, reading, and an author film.  A good day for the first day back--the day that sets the stage for the second semester.

Happy Day, PLN!