Monday, December 02, 2013

Moving Forward in the New Year: Tasks/Dates

The journey of new tools, mindsets, and processes in schools has been an exciting, eventful path from traditional methods that were often uninspiring to new, vibrant methods of teaching--methods that are engaging, differentiated, and fluid.

The next leg of the journey, however, is one that is much more tedious, but necessary--it is the journey of detail, finesse, study, and evaluation. The list is longer than the professional time available thus a bit stressful, but by simply making the list and creating a timeline I can do the best possible job and stay focused.

I offer the list below to guide my work, and for your review if interested.  I know most teachers have a similar list plus or minus a few items.  If you review the list and find anything missing, let me know. In the meantime, I wish you well as you navigate the busy waters of school year 2013-2014.

State Certification: Week of January 6
I completed this task, but now I have to follow up with the State to find out why I haven't received the certification so I can get my refund. I also need to submit a few more receipts for refunds related to curriculum materials and professional work.

Writing A Narrative: Week of January 6
We will employ SRSD, traditional methods, and renewed efforts in the narrative writing unit.  This will include professional study and considerable classroom time beginning next week.Writing a narrative and preparing for summer Wayland Institute presentation is included in this endeavor.  I've figured out the title for my next narrative, it's simple but meaningful when I think of my 10-year-old-self, Bike Hike. 

Read Like an Writer
I'll use Ralph Fletcher's inspiration to create a number of lessons with Suneby's book, Razia's Ray of Hope, to guide students' efforts to read like a writer in the first couple of full-time school weeks in January.  Suneby will visit our school in February.

Unit Websites: A Guide for Blended, Differentiated Learning
I'll prep and present a short presentation on this topic to my school system colleagues.

Standards Based Report Cards: Week of January 13
First, a new standards-based report card is moving us to assess very specific details related to student learning. That propels us to institute about 20-30 new learning activities in the next five-six school weeks that serve to relay the standards to students in positive, transparent ways while also assessing students' work in those areas. I am committed to transparency with regard to this process, hence I will craft activities that show students why the standards are important to their life today and in the future, and how they may assess their current performance and develop future skill. The activities will also serve to demonstrate student performance to colleagues, leadership, and families.

Farm Days continued: January 
Our Farm Days field studies were successful in many ways. There were also many areas we'd like to tweak for greater impact as we move learning beyond the four walls of the classroom. Fortunately the farm has asked us to get involved in a new initiative--now we have to find the time to work with them on this effort--I think the time will be waiting for this meeting right after those standards based report cards are complete.

Educon 2.6
I'll ready my mind for some of the best educational thinkers' thoughts and ideas during Educon 2.6 at the Science Leadership Academy in Philadelphia.

UClass
In February, I'll participate in a UClass think tank.  So far the work I've devoted to UClass has resulted in substantially better lesson delivery for my fourth graders.  Their platform, coaching, and outreach has served to develop my understanding of solid lesson design, start-up efforts, and the ed-tech world. Their unencumbered platform is a good match for the way I like to research and teach.  I continue to receive a small stipend for my work with this start-up.

Close Reading/Reading Response: January Study Focus 
I bought several new books related to close reading, reading response, and reading workshop efforts at the NCTE.  I know that critical thinking/reading skills are integral to student success, hence I want to continue to develop my repertoire in this area.  I once heard an expert discuss reading instruction as "rocket science," and I agree. Teaching reading is a complex activity which differs from student to student, hence there's always a lot of room for growth in this regard.

Math Models Study and Research: January - May
Specific focus on the research and action related to creating and learning with math models. Students will also work on this effort beginning in January with multiplication/division online model making.

Coding: Ongoing 
We all had a great dose of coding in December. I know the students will continue this process with zest.  I've got a few specific coding projects I'd like my eager coders to try.  Let's see what happens.

RETELL: February-April
All teachers in Massachusetts are responsible for understanding how to teach English Language Learners (ELL) at a deep level, and therefore required to have substantial coursework in the area of teaching ELL students. I am registered for this coursework in the spring.  I have enjoyed my ELL study in the past and look forward to learning more specific details with regard to teaching all students, including ELL students, well.

NBPTS Renewal: April Edits, Revision, and Submission
I jumped into this detailed process and made a good dent in all the work only to find out that the final payment is due in February, but the actual work is due in April.  Hence I'll put aside a day or two during the April break to put the finishing touches on this project.  I'll revisit the draft now and then to edit, revise, and enrich in the meantime.

New Standards and Scope and Sequences: May
We're continuing to employ instruction and efforts to meet new standards as well as new curriculum timelines. The challenge here is that it's questionable whether the time, teacher energy, and student energy to learn/teach the standards to mastery is available--at this point it seems like the standards at fourth grade outweigh students' readiness or the available energy/time on task. I'm not giving up on this, but truly it seems like a steep mountain.

School Reconfiguration: Spring 2014
I plan to meet this change with an open mind and efficiency. I've changed schools a few times, and the reality is that the effort tends to match your attitude and energy.  Hence I'll take an attitude of forward thinking, ready communication, and efficient action with regard to this change.

New Evaluation System: Ongoing 
For me this mostly means remembering to collect and document evidence as I work towards meeting my yearly goals. Every couple weeks or so, I add links and notes to my evidence document--a document I'll refine prior to the mid-year and end-of-year evaluation meetings.

Beta Testing
I love the enthusiasm, new ideas, and support that start-ups bring to the classroom. I also like the way that the new tools invigorate classroom learning. Again, I wish I had more time to test out these items and employ them in our classroom. I'm chopping away at this tool by tool and find that I keep coming back for more since the tools result in greater enthusiasm, investment, differentiation, response, and learning success.  The tools on my list right now include continued use of 30Hands, inclusion of ListenEdition in our upcoming narrative/digital story unit, and use of Tynker and eduCanon. What might be a good next step in this area is to invite the beta testers in to model a lesson in the classroom, that might be a two-for where the students and I learn the tool at the same time.

Tech Integration
Students crave the use of tech in classroom efforts. We're fortunate to have substantial tech equipment, and now the challenge is apt integration that results in positive learning results.

Hiatus: Summer 2014
I'm planning an adventure for the summer--a time to quiet the brain, and reenergize for the next year of learning to come.

The list is long, and the time available for learning, planning, and change is limited for most classroom teachers like me who spend most of their time on-task with many students during the school day. Making the list, however, is a good first step, and now it's time to to start completing the tasks.