Friday, December 06, 2013

Less Challenges, More Support

At this point, for the most part there seems to be more support and less challenge.  I like that as the change is moving me inward with greater focus and attention to the students and my grade-level team. When the support for the bigger systematic issues exists, then there is more time to focus on the details of the job. I've also curtailed involvement in areas that don't support my classroom work--that's opened a window for more classroom-centric work, another positive step.

So what will I do with this ability to focus more; what goals will I embrace.

Basically, I'll work to deepen my craft and service to students.  I'll begin with the units and processes we're currently developing including the culture celebration research/presentation project, math number sense/geometry/SMP learning experiences, close reading/reading response work, and narrative writing strategies/processes.  These are all great units, and the focus will be to use multiple learning strategies, experiences, and investigations to develop each child's skill and understanding in engaging, meaningful ways. Fortunately I have many tools in my midst with which to work as well as a fine grade level team to collaborate with. I'll also continue my affiliation with UClass.org which is serving to engage me in the new standards in creative, thoughtful ways.

This time away from worry and efforts with regard to the greater system will also serve me well as an opportunity to grow my own professional craft, collaboration, and abilities--one is never "there" when it comes to teaching, hence there's always room for growth.

Finally, this chance to be classroom centric with adequate support, will provide some time to have family/free time to nurture health, relationships, personal learning, and recreation.  As we all know, "All work and no play, makes educators dull."--we need to have time to have a live outside of school too.

I hope this glimmer of change continues, and the ability to really invest in the job at hand remains. That will definitely help me effectively do my job--it's a movement that's needed in all learning communities, the time and support to allow teachers to do what they desire most--teach children well.