Wednesday, October 09, 2013

School Life: The Noise Factor

Noise is an issue in schools. It's expected that students are very quiet most of the time which is often a struggle for teachers.  I agree that silence is advantageous and necessary for a lot of learning, and silence or very quiet belongs in a great deal of school life, but I also believe there are times when noise and learning go together. It's a tough balance, one I am thinking about today.

For example, today while my students played a competitive, interactive math game their voices rose high and loud.  I assessed the surroundings and the activity.  The children were engaged in the exciting multi-player game, and no classes were in nearby areas, hence I let the noise burst forward.  Yet, a couple of adults in nearby rooms were disturbed and spoke up.  I didn't want to disturb the others, yet I wanted the children to enjoy this fun game.  This is just one example of how noise affects the learning environment.

How is noise dealt with in your learning environment? What is the best way to keep noise at the best level for learning?  When is noise appropriate, positive, and natural? Something more to consider as we think about learning environments today. I'm curious.