Saturday, October 19, 2013

Philosophical Foundation: Impact on Practice

I beginning to think that my philosophical foundation when it comes to education may differ from those around me. Up until now, if I've shared and received no response I took that as agreement, and now I'm realizing that hasn't been the case.

Hence today, I'm going to express my philosophical foundation. I'm open to critique, debate, and discussion.

The Learning Community
First, I believe schools should be learning communities. As part of that I believe all, but the most private, information should be shared regularly and transparently. I believe that all in the learning community including students, families, educators, leaders, and community members should be aware of all information related to school events, purpose, vision, and focus in a timely, regular manner, and debate and discourse should be welcomed in fluid systems of information exchange.

A Little for Today and a Little for Tomorrow
Next, I believe that schools should operate with the philosophy of a "little for today and a little for tomorrow" which means that while we're doing current good work, we should also be working in areas of well-researched innovation and change. I believe an approach like this is supported by inclusive idea systems, vision setting, and support.  This approach eliminates stagnancy and helps schools to become vital, responsive learning systems.

Inclusivity and Shared Leadership
I am not a fan of "factory model schools" and structures, instead I'm an advocate for shared leadership, decision making, and assessment.  So many structures in schools today still replicate factory structure rather than the communities that foster autonomy, purpose, and mastery as Pink's book, Drive, supports. When the vision and goals are set only by leadership with little to no input from the rest of the learning community, investment and potential may wane. Similar lost potential may occur also when educators who work with students regularly are led more by directives than voice, time, and conversation.

Communication
Regular, transparent communication strengthens learning communities. When the information is there for the taking, there's little need for conjecture, distrust, and confusion.  Also when emails, questions, and ideas gain response, consideration, and support, there's no time for unnecessary back-steps, error, and frustration. Communication that presents as one-sided rules does not engender a sense of team and collaborative growth. Similarly inefficient, cumbersome processes and inequitable time for innovation and change can result in unsuccessful attempts at growth and development.  Learning community members should not have to hunt to figure out a member's ideology, efforts, and vision--that should be clear.  Clear, concise, and respectful communication strengthen a learning community.

Children First
I believe that learning communities should serve all children well, and that's the first priority. In doing that the community should share common vision and intent with regard to children. They should have time and structure that brings community members together in effective ways to respond to children, and those systems should be regularly assessed and refined for better response. All those working in the learning community should work with and listen to children, thinking carefully about their needs for care, instruction, and positive learning experiences.  When children are not the primary focus, we need to reroute ourselves toward that direction.

Learning Matters
In schools we are in the business of learning, and we should all focus most of our energy and work in that regard. I believe in a holistic learning environment that teaches and develops the whole child.

Those are the main areas of my educational philosophy at this time.  Many schools and communities do not reflect similar philosophy in their work and practice.

How does your philosophy match mine, and how is your philosophy different?  What would you add? What would you change or take a way? As I move forward with my work, I am going to be mindful of my philosophy when working with others.  It may be that I have to relate my philosophy at the start of new work and efforts to be sure that when I am working with others we understand where we're coming from at the start.

Your philosophical foundation has an impact on your practice.  I look forward to reading and learning about your ideas with regard to this topic. I am also ready to refine and grow my philosophical foundation too.