Saturday, October 05, 2013

Climbing the Tech Integration Mountain in Schools: What do you think?

Integrating tech in schools is an uphill battle for many.

Fortunately our school has a great infrastructure and terrific tools.

The battle for us is our desire to embrace tools that are not "worksheets on paper," but instead worthy, multidimensional, collaborative, science-tech tools such as Minecraft.

Children love Minecraft. Some will argue that they love it too much. I agree that Minecraft should not be a 24-7 choice in school, but I will also argue that it should hold a place in schools when it comes to creative expression, design, and collaboration.

Just yesterday a boy was telling me about the invention he was creating with others with Minecraft.  He comes from a savvy home where ed-tech is embraced.  Is it fair that just children who come from those homes are allowed to explore tools like this--is this equity in learning and access?

Years ago the battle was to use Google.  I was told that Google was inappropriate, hence we had to sneak a Google search.  Now it's the need for more inventive, engaging, creative tools like Minecraft--tools adults often deny without even trying them out.

I believe schools need to listen to students and hear what they are doing and learning. We have to be responsive to their needs, and find ways to pilot and embrace the tools and venues they're seeking and using. I understand the need for safety and protection, but I think we can do both with enough intent, research, and response.

Why does tech integration have to be such a battle in schools?  But then, I'm reminded of the fact that Europe denied the concept of 0 for a long time because it was such a threatening idea. Adults often fear new ideas. 

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. I know the way of the future is to keep the best of the old and the best of the new. We are educating children for the future, and we have to have the mindset and action that allows us to try out new platforms with enthusiasm and investment.  

I look forward to your responses. I welcome your debate.  I would not write this post if I didn't think I had an argument worth discussing.  Thanks for responding.