Saturday, July 20, 2013

Challenging Goals

I'm trying yet again to reach a goal that's evaded me.

Yuk, like most learners I love to do what's natural, easy, and within my ability range, and also like most learners, I cringe at the tasks that challenge all of my less-than-average abilities.

I'm going to chart this journey, both to support my growth in this regard, and to understand what it feels like to be that child facing what seems like an impossible task.

I'd like to avoid it. We see students do this with frequent trips to the bathroom, absenteeism, outbursts, and avoidance. Yet, I know that facing my fear and meeting a difficult challenge will make me stronger, and more aware of how to teach learners who face a similar challenge.

Hence, I'll chart the path.

1. Create the success criteria.
2. Chart the course with a specific timeline.
3. Take it step by step.
4. Readjust along the way to make sure the progress is forward moving.
5. Study and learn about the challenge area as I move ahead.
6. Seek out some positive, helpful coaching and support.

I must say, like the student who asks to go to the nurse or bathroom, I'd like to just snap my fingers and meet the challenge, but that's not possible.

Hence, I'll apply the learning strategy I've read about to my own learning.  I'll chart the course.  I'll embrace a positive, "I can do it" mindset.  Let's see what happens.